Recent years have seen the emergence of various new teeth whitening products. According to a Statista report, the teeth whitening industry was valued at $6.14 billion in 2020. Many people spend hundreds of dollars every year on these at-home teeth whitening products; however, they are often left unhappy with the results. Suppose you are looking for an effective option to fix your stained teeth. In that case, you can choose to get professional teeth whitening in Waterloo instead. In this article, we will explore how professional teeth whitening is better than at-home teeth whitening.
Benefits of professional whitening treatments
The most obvious benefit of experiencing a professional teeth whitening treatment and using professional products is the deep removal of discoloration and stains from your teeth. Therefore, making your smile look all the more attractive. You will see whiter and even results from professional treatment instead of using an over-the-counter product. Besides this, professional teeth whitening is also beneficial because –
- The professional treatment is reliable and speedy. In most cases, the professional teeth whitening is completed within an hour. By keeping up with the at-home maintenance, you would be able to ensure that the results are long-lasting.
- At-home whitening treatments usually have a one-size-fits-all approach. With professional teeth whitening, you are provided with a treatment that is customized according to your needs. You will be able to get the precise amount of whiteness that you are looking for.
- Professional cosmetic dentistry procedures are more comfortable and safer than over-the-counter teeth whitening products. At-home teeth whitening products can lead to tooth sensitivity. In professional teeth whitening, an experienced professional monitors the procedure attentively and ensures that your gums and other parts of the mouth are adequately protected.
Disadvantages of at-home teeth whitening methods
Teeth whitening systems have flooded the market these days. Anyone can buy gels, rinses, toothpaste, chewing gums, and whitening strips to perform at-home teeth whitening. However, there are many disadvantages of using household products or generic over the counter products –
- Activated Charcoal: Activated charcoal is not as effective as it is claimed because it only removes the surface stains. It is rendered useless in removing yellowing from teeth. Besides this, it is also very abrasive and can permanently damage your teeth’ enamel.
- Whitening Strips: The concentration of carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide in at-home whitening strips is significantly lesser than it would be in a professional treatment. When they are left on for too long, they can also damage the tooth’s enamel and lead to tooth/gum sensitivity. Besides this, the at-home whitening strips are not effective in whitening the teeth between the crevices.
- Whitening Toothpaste & Mouthwashes: Whitening toothpaste will manage light surface stains but is ineffective in the long run and won’t penetrate beyond the surface. It can only whiten your teeth as much as one shade. Most whitening kinds of toothpaste contain silica, fluoride, and baking soda, which are not effective in removing stubborn and deep stains. As for the whitening mouthwashes, the liquid comes in contact with the teeth for a relatively short time, making them even less effective than professional whitening products and treatments.
- Fruit Peels: It is claimed that peels from some fruits like bananas and oranges can help with teeth whitening. However, this is far from true as fruit peels do not contain any bleaching or abrasive materials that will help in removing the stains.
The right way to whiten your teeth at home
After you have experienced a teeth whitening procedure at a dental clinic, the dentist will most likely recommend an at-home maintenance procedure. Since the dentist knows the condition of your teeth, they will be able to give better advice for ways to keep your teeth whiter for longer. They might suggest you to –
- Brush twice a day with whitening toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Drink sufficient water.
- Avoid beverages that can cause stains, like coffee, wine, and tea.
- Rinse mouth immediately after drinking or eating.
- Refrain from using tobacco or smoking.
- Drink acidic beverages using a straw.
It is amply evident that whitening your teeth at home is not only ineffective, but it can also lead to several problems. In order to get the best teeth whitening results, it is advisable to choose cosmetic dentistry in Waterloo, where a seasoned professional will provide the right solution for your teeth. Contact Dr. K Ashraf Dentistry today for more information on cosmetic dentistry.